Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
signed by President Obama on December 10th, 2015
The new Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA formerly ESEA) was signed by President Obama on 12/10/15. ESSA includes provisions that will help to ensure success for students and schools. Below are just a few.
- Advances equity by upholding critical protections for America’s disadvantaged and high-need students
- Requires—for the first time—that all students in America be taught to high academic standards that will prepare them to succeed in college and careers.
- Ensures that vital information is provided to educators, families, students, and communities through annual statewide assessments that measure students’ progress toward those high standards.
- Helps to support and grow local innovations—including evidence-based and place-based interventions developed by local leaders and educators—consistent with our Investing in Innovation and Promise Neighborhoods
- Sustains and expands this administration’s historic investments in increasing access to high-quality preschool.
- Maintains an expectation that there will be accountability and action to effect positive change in our lowest-performing schools, where groups of students are not making progress, and where graduation rates are low over extended periods of time.
For more information, visit ESSA.